Where can I find the original treat?
- These treats can be found all over the Disneyland Resort.
I love a rice krispie treat and the Disneyland resort does not shy away from several varieties on their property. It’s been a few months since making the Minnie Mouse Rice Krispie treats, so I thought it was about time we all made another of these fun, kid friendly, treats.
Using a standard rice krispie base, these treats are then dipped into milk chocolate, and then dunked into a sea of mini M&M’s, covering the entire front of the treat in tiny candies. And if that didn’t sound good enough already, then the whole thing gets a nice drizzle of semisweet chocolate. Because, why not?
Actually, that drizzle helps secure many of those mini M&M’s from falling off, and it’s a nice little contrast in chocolate from the milk chocolate holding the candies on. This recipe makes 3 treats, but the beauty of this particular recipe is that is doubles, and even triples, easily (just use the multiplier option in the recipe below!).
If you’re new to making rice krispie treats, or working with marshmallows, be sure to read the notes at the end of the recipe. There’s some helpful tips! Also, this recipe qualifies as “kid friendly” for the assembly! Once the base has cooled, kids can help cut out shapes, dip into chocolate and the M&M’s, and even help drizzle the final chocolate on top. Kids love decorating treats and it’s a great way for them to get involved in the kitchen!Print
M&M’s Mickey Rice Krispie Treats
- Yield: 3 M&M’s Mickey Rice Krispie treats 1x
Crispy, chewy Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie Treats are dipped in a sea of M&M’s candies and topped with a chocolate drizzle. A sweet, Disneyland-inspired treat.
For the rice krispie treat:
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 157 g ( 2 cups) mini marshmallows or 20 regular sized marshmallows
- 1–3/4 cups crisped rice cereal
For the topping:
- 3–1/2 ounces (100 g) light cocoa candy melts
- 1 cup mini M&M’s
- 1–1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Mickey Mouse cutter
- 3 Popsicle sticks
For the rice krispie treat:
- Before beginning, line a 8×8″ baking pan with parchment.
- Combine the butter and marshmallows in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until marshmallows have melted and mixture is smooth.
- Immediately dump in the crisped rice cereal and mix to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and gently press mixture into place with a rubber spatula (or damp fingers). Set aside for at least an hour in the refrigerator so that the mixture can firm up enough to cut shapes.
- Once firm, use parchment to lift out rice krispie treats. Use a Mickey Mouse shaped cutter to cut out shapes and set aside.
- First, melt the light cocoa candy melts in the microwave inside a microwave safe bowl, like glass, for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again for an additional 30 seconds. Keep stirring and microwaving in short bursts of 15-20 seconds until melted and smooth. Use can alternatively use a double boiler for melting.
- Next, fill a shallow bowl with the M&M’s candies. Set aside.
- Insert a popsicle stick into each treat (this will make it easier to handle the chocolate and candies later).
- Dip a treat into the melted chocolate, letting any excess drip off back into the bowl, and then immediately dip into the mini M&M’s. Press firmly and then set aside candy side up. Repeat for other treats. Place treats on a piece of parchment lined sheet pan and press candies firmly into place on the treat.
- Then, melt semisweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, like glass, for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again for an additional 30 seconds. Keep stirring and microwaving in short bursts of 15-20 seconds until melted and smooth. Use can alternatively use a double boiler for melting. You can also melt directly in a heavy duty, heat safe, piping bag using the same microwave method (I find this easiest when I will be piping without a tip on the bag).
- Drizzle or pipe the semisweet chocolate across the M&M’s coated treats. Refrigerate to set about 1 hour. Enjoy!
- Use a smaller pan than you think you’ll need for this. As the marshmallows melt into the butter, if there’s too much space in the pan they will start to dry out and form strings. Keeping the marshmallows closer together in the pan will ensure they melt more evenly, creating a better mixture to add the cereal into.
- When mixing crisped rice cereal into the melted marshmallows, keep the mixture on the flame so that marshmallows stay liquid. Removing to mix in can seize up the liquid before the cereal is fully mixed.
- You can combine some extra rice krispie treat scraps into the mold to shape additional Mickey Mouse treats.
- Treats can be kept in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: treat, chocolate, Mickey Mouse, rice krispies, M&Ms
[…] Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie Treats […]
[…] in candies, sprinkles or some other sweet topping, Mickey krispie treats are a classic park snack. Magical Treats at Home shows us how to recreate ’em in the comfort of your own […]