- I’m kicking off a month of favorites from the “Get Your Ears On” celebration for June!
I thought it was time we tried a savory item on here. Treats do not necessarily have to be sweet, and the Bacon Mac & Cheese Footlong Hotdog was definitely one of my favorite savory items at the park during this festival.
Now, this recipe is an example of why I say “inspired” and not “copy cat” recipe… and that’s because if I could change one thing about this, it would be the mac & cheese; it just wasn’t 100% for me. Overall I loved this dish. I mean, it fed four of us as a snack and that’s a great bang for your buck! The mac & cheese worked just fine as part of the whole meal, but on its own I thought it could be better. So, today I’ll just sub in my favorite creamy mac & cheese and then it will be perfect!
This dish does not use standard hotdog buns. The whole meal rests inside a soft, french roll, and really, you need that sturdier bread to hold it all. If you decided to not go the footlong route and just make standard size hotdogs, I’d still suggest you use a sturdy bun, or you’ll need to eat it out of a bowl!Print
Creamy mac & cheese with bacon bits and chives makes a delicious topping for a footlong hotdog! A Disneyland-inspired treat from the “Get Your Ears On” celebration.
- 2 cups creamy mac & cheese, prepared
- 3–4 slices of bacon
- 2 footlong hotdogs (I used Farmer John’s Dodger Dogs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 2 french rolls
- Start by preparing the mac & cheese per the box’s instructions.
- Next, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Watch that it does not go from crispy to burned! Set aside until warm and then chop bacon to small bite-sized pieces.
- Cook hotdogs over medium heat about 8 minutes, turning occasionally to crisp skin on all sides. While hotdogs are cooking, warm french rolls if desired.
- To assemble: carve out a small section from french rolls and place hotdog inside. Scoop mac & cheese on top. Sprinkle with bacon bits and chopped chives. Enjoy!
- Use a french roll instead of a standard hotdog bun for a sturdier base
- All components can be prepared up to a day in advance and reheated to assemble
Keywords: savory, Get Your Ears On, hotdog, mac & cheese