These spicy, crunchy Firefly chips are layers of corn chips, meat and bean chili, shredded cheese, and jalapeno peppers! A Disneyland-inspired treat.
For the chili:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1–1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans red or pinto beans or mix of both with liquid
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Firefly chips:
- corn chips, like Fritos
- meat and bean chili (see recipe above, or canned chili is also fine)
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- jalapeno pepper slices
For the chili:
- In a large dutch oven, warm the avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks and browns.
- Add in the yellow onion, salt, garlic, and tomato paste. Saute until onions begin to turn translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Next, add in chili powder, cayenne powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, beans, and broth. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cover and continue to simmer an additional 10 minutes if you’d like a thicker stew, or remove from the heat and let cool slightly before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the Firefly Chips:
- Pour a layer of corn chips in the bottom of a small bowl (or if you’re serving for multiple people, a serving sized bowl).
- Top with chili, shredded cheese, and jalapeno pepper slices.
- Chili can be cooled to room temperature and stored in an airtight container refrigerated up to 3 days.
- This recipe can be scaled to individual portions, or served as an appetizer to a large crowd.
- The Refreshment Corner also a hotdog topped with Firefly chips and I think you all should try doing that with this recipe at least once.
Keywords: savory treat, corn chips, cheese, chili, jalapeno peppers, Refreshment Corner